Women, Peace and Security Resources
In 24 peace processes over the past two decades, according to available information, women formed less than 8 percent of negotiating teams.
UN Security Council Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security (and a Quick Guide from PeaceWomen)
- Resolution 1325 addresses the inordinate impact of war on women, as well as the pivotal role women should and do play in conflict management, conflict resolution, and sustainable peace.
- Resolution 1820 recognizes that conflict-related sexual violence is a tactic of warfare, and calls for the training of troops on preventing and responding to sexual violence, deployment of more women to peace operations, and enforcement of zero-tolerance policies for peacekeepers with regards to acts of sexual exploitation or abuse.
- Resolution 1888 strengthens the implementation of Resolution 1820 by calling for leadership to address conflict-related sexual violence, deployment of teams (military and gender experts) to critical conflict areas, and improved monitoring and reporting on conflict trends and perpetrators.
- Resolution 1889 addresses obstacles to women’s participation in peace processes and calls for development of global indicators to track the implementation of Resolution 1325, and improvement of international and national responses to the needs of women in conflict and post-conflict settings.
- Resolution 1960 calls for an end to sexual violence in armed conflict, particularly against women and girls, and provides measures aimed at ending impunity for perpetrators of sexual violence, including through sanctions and reporting measures.
- List of National Action Plans by Country
- Guide to Designing and Implementing SCR 1325 National Action Plans by UNSTRAW/DCAF
- UNIFEM 1325+10 materials
Violence Against Women
- UN Security Council Resolution 48/104: 1993 Declaration on the Elimination of Violence Against Women
- List of UN reports and resolutions on Violence Against Women
Alerts & Updates
April 10, 2014 | Asia, Human Rights, Stop Violence Against Women, India
January 9, 2014 | article 475, Human Rights, Middle East, Morocco, rape, Stop Violence Against Women, Political Participation, Morocco
WLP Morocco/ADFM & Moroccan Women's Organizations Stop Flawed GBV Bill + Achieve Formal CSO ConsultationNovember 15, 2013 | Middle East, Stop Violence Against Women, Political Participation, Morocco