Who We Are
Women's Learning Partnership (WLP) is dedicated to women's leadership and empowerment. At its essence, WLP is a builder of networks, working with 20 autonomous and independent partner organizations in the Global South, particularly in Muslim-majority societies, to empower women to transform their families, communities, and societies.
We strongly believe that women, working in partnership, will learn the skills and implement the strategies needed to secure human rights, contribute to the development of their communities, and ultimately create a more peaceful world.
Our primary objectives are to increase the number of women taking on leadership and decision-making roles at family, community, and national levels, and to improve the effectiveness of feminist movements in Muslim-majority societies and globally by strengthening the capacity of our partner organizations.
WLP is an international, non-governmental organization (NGO) in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
The mission of the Women's Learning Partnership (WLP) is to advance communication and cooperation among and between the women of the world in order to protect human rights, facilitate sustainable development, and promote peace.
WLP links those with access to resources, knowledge, and technologies to those without, and augments the voices and visions of the world's resource-poor majority.
WLP believes that dialogue across boundaries of culture, class, gender, generation, and nation is essential for achieving socially equitable and environmentally sound development.
To secure a healthy, safe, and democratic environment for all, WLP works to advance gender equity, involve men and boys in promoting gender parity, and facilitate the exchange of grassroots strategies within and across different cultures. By instituting a viable knowledge and learning framework, WLP's programs provide women and girls of the Global South with the technical knowledge and practical skills needed to participate in the global dialogue about rights, development, and peace.
- We live our core values and beliefs.
- We are committed to the creation of tolerant, egalitarian, and democratic communities developed through partnerships based on cooperation, trust, and respect.
- We sustain our partnerships through open, ongoing and in-depth communication.
- We are a learning organization that is flexible, evolving, and responsive to the changes in our environment.
- We honor the collective nature of the Partnership and believe in the importance of a shared vision.
- We promote and sustain leadership that is horizontal, participatory, and inclusive.
- We foster growth and expansion through consolidating and strengthening the capacity of partners.
- We use new information and communication technologies to facilitate communication and sharing of knowledge and skills.
- We encourage critical feedback and are always searching for innovative initiatives to improve the quality of our work.
- We recognize that the branding and marketing of WLP is integral to the success of our work.